Tuesday, August 07, 2012

A Past Moment in Time Becomes History

Margo and Roy Brooks with James Robbins standing aside



On April 6, 1940, a Federal Census Enumerator, Huberty Frank,  visited the homes on Mears Avenue in the township of West Riverside in the unincorporated area called Mira Loma,  California. This record indicates that the  home where I lived was rented by my Mother, Hazel Gibson Brooks, and it was located next door to the home of her father, Lovell Edgar Gibson, on the same side of the street.  I was thirteen years old at that time living with my siblings, Phyllis, age 11, Vivian, age 9, and Loren, age 7.  My  mother worked as a supervisor for the W.P.A. in social services earning   about $750 dollars per year at the age of 34 years.  She and our father, Royal H. Brooks , had recently divorced (June 10, 1939) and she became the sole provider for her family of four children.  My grandfather’s home (next door) was at this time occupied by my grandmother, Annettie Nelson Gibson, age 58, living alone with her son George Gibson, age 21.  My grandfather died eight weeks earlier (February  4, 1940) leaving grandmother with little or no support.   My uncle George was a shoe salesman for a widowed man, Mr. William Derry,  located on Sceine Drive near Mears Avenue and was often away traveling with him and earning about $300 dollars per year.
My grandfather died while I was visiting my grandparents in the evening of February 4.   I would often visit my grandparents after school while my mother came home late from work.  On this particular occasion, my grandfather and I with my grandmother were listening to a radio program called “Amos and Andy”.  My grandparents had large arm chairs that they sat upon in the living room when visiting with guests or listening to the radio.  My grandfather said to my grandmother: “Nettie, (which is what everyone called her) I have heartburn so I think I’ll go get a dose of soda”.  As he walked past my grandmother’s chair, he began to fall and my grandmother caught him in her arms and let him slide to the floor.  My grandmother called to me and asked me to get my mother quickly.  I ran next door and told my mother and she came quickly to my grandfather’s side and determined he was dead.  She closed his eyes with much sorrow and tears from us all.  This vivid memory was recalled as I read the 1940 Census for Mears avenue.
Other memories were with respect to our family’s relationship with my Mother’s sister, Bertha Gibson Miller.  Uncle Bill Miller and Aunty Bertha lived just four houses down the street from our house on the same side of the street on Mears Avenue.  The census record for their rented home showed that William Miller, age 29 years, was living with his wife Bertha, age 27 and their one year old daughter, Jeanette. Uncle Bill worked as a laborer at the cement plant.  Uncle Bill was born in North Carolina while his wife Bertha was born in Clinton, Utah near where my mother was born.  My memory goes back to the large garden that uncle Bill planted each year and to the strawberries that were produced.  
After the census was taken in 1940, a rented home became available directly in front of the Miller home on Mears Avenue that was less expensive than where we were next to my grandma’s home.  Our move into this home brought us in closer contact with Aunty Bertha and Uncle Bill. It was here when I got my first bicycle for Christmas in 1940.    There were many children in the neighborhood at that time and we always found ways to have great fun with each other.  The next door neighbor was a family by the name of Neelson which I had become acquainted with.  According to the 1940 Census record, they had four children, three of which were close to my age, Lois, Charles and Betty, ages 17, 15 and 11 respectively.  I remember that they did not have a good influence upon me, using vulgar foul language, etc.  However,  I and other of my friends became acquainted with a wood carver across the street that had a good influence upon me and others. We would on a Saturday, ride on our bikes with him into the city of Riverside, about 7 miles from our home. Upon our arrival, he would buy us each a milk shake.  I became very fond of Pineapple milk shakes and to this very day I remember that great taste.
 It was here when we got the frightening news of the Japanese bombing of Pearl Harbor.  
It was from here that we went to the rock quarry late one night and covered the railroad tracks with axel grease so the train carrying rock to the breakwater at Long Beach would spin its wheels and be unable to travel.
It was here that Roy Russell and my brother Loren and I shot a magnificent quarry owl.
It was here that we watched Buddy Palmer play with his wagon and make sounds like an outboard motor where ever he went.
It was here that Jerry Heart and I became blood brothers by mingling our blood together and writing in blood a note to be buried in a secret place.
During this same period of time (August 22, 1940) when the 1940 Census was being taken, not far away in the city of Los Angeles, my father was enumerated on Fourth Avenue.  He was enumerated as a single divorced male, age 37, living as a partner with Ted Stevenson, age 36, a surveyor for the city of Los Angeles.  My father’s business as reported in the census was a “proprietor in the drug business”.  I don’t remember seeing my father after my parents divorced except for one occasion.   After I graduated from Utah State University,  my wife and our two children returned to Riverside to live on Mears Avenue across the street from where my grandparents used to live.  Their old home no longer existed at that time, but  while living there in 1952, my father came to see me and he brought with him a baby girl that may have been 3 to 6 months old.  Obviously, this child of his was from his present marriage of which I knew nothing about.   My father may have given me the baby’s name but I did not recall it.   A photo was given to me later in life from my cousin James Robbins where in my father was kneeling next to a girl about 6 or 7 years of age and the photo was entitled, “ Margo and Roy Brooks” noted above.
I suspect this is the same child that visited us with my father on Mears Avenue.  The only birth record in the state of California for a female child born in 1952 by the name of Margo was located in the California Birth Index.  The record is for Margo Melinda Brooks, born November 8, 1952 in Orange County, California.  Her mother’s maiden name was Bacon.  A copy of the original certificate would indicate the name of the father.
            That moment in time recorded by the census enumerator brought back memories that add to my history and perhaps, prompted a little more research.


No comments: