Thoughts in my old age:
I will soon complete my 95 th year on planet earth. When I was given my patriarchal blessing in 1946 as I was going into the service of my country, he said I would live to an old age. It is a great blessing to be alive. I have thought a lot about the spirit world in my ponderings concerning life there while awaiting our judgment and the resurrection. The reality of it is that there is no food, water, money or material things of this world. When we arrive there we will be exactly as we are when we leave this world or when we die.
If we have chosen to be a member of the Lords Kingdom on earth , we will also be a member of of His kingdom in Heaven. That membership requires baptism for the remission of our sins. Remission of sins can only be given by our Savior, The Lord Jesus Christ, based upon our repentance. The question arises in my mind : if one chooses to become a member of the kingdom in heaven and need baptism for remission of our sins, how is this accomplished without water? Obviously it can't be done, therefore our need for temple work where we vicariously do the baptism while we are upon this earth for those who have not been baptized. But, the the question arises as to how does one repent to obtain a remission of their sins in the spirit world?
One cannot pay tithing (there is no money), one cannot partake of the sacrament (there is no bread or water), one cannot give to the poor, one cannot get married as well as a host of other things that we take for granite while we live on earth.
These thoughts give credence to the words of Amulek in the Book of Mormon: " ..... do not procrastinate the day of your repentance until the end, for after this day of life, which is given us to prepare for eternity, behold, if we do not improve our time while in this life, then cometh the night of darkness wherein there can be no labor performed. Ye cannot say when ye brought to that awful crisis, that I will repent , ... "for that same spirit which doth possess your bodies at the time that ye go out of this life, that same spirit will have power to possess your body in that eternal world."
My hope is that my faithfulness in keeping the commandments and covenants that I made at the waters of baptism and in the Lords Temple that I will be worthy of His Mercy and that He will forgive me of my sins and recommend me to the Father for Eternal life. It is also my hope that my children and my beloved wife will receive the same mercy and that the Temple sealings will be valid. Also, it is my hope that my children will not have to suffer for their sins and that they will be faithful and repent of sins of omission, for they are wonderful children, good and upright, so as to receive His mercy. Some need to consider their sins of omission and be more devoted to Him.
I hope I don't convey the thought that we can earn a remission of our sins, we cannot, but we can show our devotion to Him and to the building of His Kingdom on earth by being more faithful in the covenants we have made with Him.
RHB
2 comments:
Wonderful words of wisdom to contemplate and ponder….I am so grateful to have you as my father. You are a great example to me which has been a big factor in my actions to come back to the covenant path.
You are such a inspiration to all that meet you dad. I see you as such a wonderful example to follow. Thank you for your words of wisdom. I know my life is incredibly blessed because of your faithfulness! I love you with all my heart!
Post a Comment