Sunday, December 06, 2020

 Gifts for remembering Christ at Christmas

I have learned today that monetary gifts at Christmas are not a gift at all. Monetary gifts leave no remembrance of the occasion because they float away and leave no reoccurring memory of the gift or the sacrifice of the one that was made when the gift was given.   I believe a monetary gift breeds selfishness and materialism, the opposite to what is intended at Christmas.  Why did I give such for Christmas?  Because of Love and generosity, I suppose.

I wonder what a true gift would be that would enhance ones memory of the occasion for which the gift was given?  It seems as though it would require a great deal of thought, not only about the occasion, but about the gift itself.  I have begin to believe that we should think very deeply about the occasions where gifts are given and make them more meaningful.  An example of this thought was rendered by my son and his wife when I was given a gift due to COVid.  It was a sacrament tray for two people, for bread and water,  and was made by hand from exotic wood and engraved with the name of a favorite hymn with an embroidered clothe for a covering.  All of which was given on my birthday.  

The occasions where gifts are given are for the most part, birthdays, Easter, and Christmas.  Anyway, this was my thought and I'll try to repent in the future.  I want to be generous and kind to those in need, but, a monetary gift for Christmas is not always a good gift.  

RHB

No comments: