Sunday, February 16, 2020

A Family Episode

This photo taken from the collection of Francis Harvard Brooks about 1905

The following message was received from Chris Hebdon  on my Iphone on February 10, 2020.

Hi there sir, I found this message which I believe is from you on an Ancestry forum  ”I just discovered a photo taken at the business entry of the J.B. La Fourcade farm with a model T Ford sedan apparently with family members inside the vehicle.  My grandfather took the photo about 1905. I would be pleased to share it with you.” ( The forum is no longer available, but I probably sent it to Ancestry many years ago.)
J.B. Lafourcade is my great grandfather on my dad’s side.  I would just love to see the photograph.”

 I responded by  saying I was pleased to hear from him and I requested his email:  chris.hebdon@yale.edu.

I told him in a message on the Iphone about my grandfather traveling in the area of southern California with his covered wagon that was equipped with a camera of his making and facilities in the wagon to develop photos and then selling them prospective buyers.

 His response was:
 “ That is so fascinating.  So you and I don’t have any relation then, just that you have one of your grandpa’s photos and it’s identified as LaFourcade or such? It will be interesting to see who is in the picture.

In trying to find the original photo, I had to resort to taking a picture of the image from a history document I had some time age that contained the photo.  So I sent him an email:

I haven't found the original yet so this is a copy of one that I had made for my grandpa's history. No we're not related but it has been interesting how we have been connected. I am 93 years old and emeritus faculty at Oregon state university.

Shortly after,  I found a digital copy and attached to the above email.  His response was:  
 What a joy to see this photo, thank you so much, Royal!
In case it is of interest, I attach a few photos of J.B. LaFourcade: a portrait from when he was middle aged, an two family photos from his 80th birthday.
The LaFourcades had winery operations in Cucamonga since around the 1900s. They struggled through Prohibition and eventually, after deaths, the ranch and all got sold out. That's why photos like your grandpa's are so valuable --- it's of a part of our family history that is gone. This same part of Cucamonga is now a pancake restaurant and yoga shop and chinese food center (looking not very different from any other part of L.A.). Interestingly, this exact spot that your grandfather photographed in the 80s was considered for historical status. But it at the time was a whorehouse and topless bar, and so the city didn't approve it. Instead they made some memorial plaques and a "Winer's Walk" with some info about the history of Cucamonga wine making.
Thanks again for your taking your personal time to look up a family photo so important to us.


A portrait of J.B. LaFourcade and his family at his *80th Birthday Party.

2 comments:

Shauna said...

This story is so interesting. I’m amazed the La Fourcade family reached out to you. Amazing.

Shauna said...

This story is so interesting. I’m amazed the La Fourcade family reached out to you. Amazing.