Saturday, February 23, 2019


It was Monday  evening that I got a text from my brother-in-law, Cal Loe, indicating that he received word from Michael Gardner that his mother, Mirial Gardner, had passed away.  Upon further inquiry I learned that a memorial service would be held on Friday, February 22, 2019 from 4 - 8 pm at the Bunker Mortuary in Las Vegas.  I in turn contacted Shauna and Kevin to see if they wanted to attend as I thought I should attend.  Shauna said she wanted to attend and she would be glad to take us in her car.  Kevin indicated that he might be able to come over after work.
Shauna picked me up at 2:45 on Friday afternoon and it took us a little more than an hour to reach the mortuary.  We were among the first to be there to meet the family.
All of my children always referred to Mirial as Aunt Mirial even though they were second cousins to her.  And, I was always referred to as Uncle Roy by her children.  Mirial was a favorite cousin for Anita.  We always tried to stay in contact with the Gardners.  Mirial married Harold Garner at a young age and Harold was well established with his father in business and he was doing quite well financially. Their marriage started out with a new home and they seemed not to struggle financially as did the other cousins , as Anita I I did , as did Wanda and Evelyn with their families.  After Anita and I and our family moved to Oregon, we enjoyed frequent visits to see Mirial and Harold.  They had a very spacious home and it was always fun to be there for a family gathering.

Upper  Photo:  Mirial and her son Michael and his wife. Seated by Mirial is Gary Lee.
Lower photo: Mirial at our 60th wedding anniversary


It was nice to revisit the family of Mirial.  She had two daughter and one son.  Marlyn was a care giver to her mother in the years before her death.  Geneen, the oldest daughter ,was unable to be there for the service.
After introductions and stories told by individuals and their associations with Mirial, ( remember how Mirial brought her mother to Eugene from Las Vegas and she died in the car, but Mirial kept on driving until she got to Eugene and went to the hospital and she told the ER people that she thought her mother was dead and they said is she breathing and Mirial said well she hasn't taken a breath in in the last 100 miles so I'm sure she is dead. ) Shauna and I left the gathering at 5:pm and we got back to Overton a few minutes after 6.  Very nice day.
RHB



1 comment:

Shauna said...

I was so happy and grateful to attend this service with my dad. It was wonderful to reconnect with cousins that I hadn’t seen in many years, namely Marilyn and Michael. A lovely service to Aunt Mirial.