Over the
years of family history work, I have been concerned about the marriages of my
father after my mother divorced my father in 1940. Do I have any half-sisters or brothers? My mother mentioned to me at times that she
thought the woman that my father was seeing at the time of the divorce was Jerry Alford.
I was certain that the marriage took place in California. I had searched for years for any additional marriage
records of my father without success.
A number of years ago while living in Charbonneau,
Wilsonville, Oregon, probably about 2011, my brother came up with a photo of two
young girls that was given to him by our Aunt Martha. He passed them on to me, thinking that they
may be our half-sisters and prompted me to do some research on the girls. I spent several months in research and I
finally found information regarding their identity. (Unfortunately, the research
data is in Bountiful, Utah and unavailable at this writing) I sent for a birth certificate to the state
of California to determine the identity of the father. It turned out that the father was unknown to
me. I am anxious to review this research
in Bountiful, my other residence, because I believe the mystery of the identity
of the girls may unfold. And, here is
the reason why:
A few days ago, I opened my familysearch.org and found that
my front page contained a recent photo of my brother and I as a memory under
our father’s name, Royal Harvard Brooks, Sr. submitted by Donna van Uteret, my
bother’s daughter. It prompted me to
review my father’s history page history page.
I was reminded that I had added the identity of his second marriage,
Virginia Ann Fritz. I’m not sure how I
made that discovery, but anyway, there it was and the name was not “Alford” as
my mother had thought. The parents of
Virginia Fritz had been connected by Familysearch along with many of her ancestors
for several generations. My father had a
knack for finding women with well-known ancestry, as with the case of our
mother. I could not seem to leave this research
and began adding familysearch noted sources to the families involved with
Virginia Fritz. As I continued to dig
into the work, low and behold , I found a marriage record of my father to a
Virginia Alford, May 1940 in Yuma, Arizona where his brother lived. Her name was not jerry, but Virginia.
This fact was verified by the 1940 US Census. As I continued to add sources to Virginia
Fritz, I came across a public record (city directory) for a Virginia Brooks,
also known as Virginia Ann Fritz. Wow!! Virginia Fritz and Virginia Alford were one
and the same person. The birth year for
both were confirmed by the 1940 census and the birth record for Virginia Fritz. ( the photo
noted above given to my brother by our aunt, may be of Virginia and her
sister, Hazel, born in 1913 and 1915 respectively)
In 1953, after graduating from college, we moved to West
Riverside California, soon after which, my father came to visit me and he
brought with him a baby girl of his that appeared to be about 6 months old. He wanted me to meet my half-sister. I was so
young and inexperienced in life that I did not give the visit much attention
and in-fact I did not invite him into my house.
In retrospect I was very rude, and I did not ever see him again. He died in 1978 while we were living in
Egypt. Years later, Jamie Robbins, a
cousin, gave me a photo of my father with his daughter that looked to be about
seven or eight years old. Her physical appearance was in the express image of
our daughter, Vivian Rae. The only name
on the photo was “Margo”. In the past,
wanting to have a birth record of this child, I found only two Margo Brooks
records that were born at that time in California. I have not pursued it further to obtain the
record itself. This photo of Margo can
be seen on the memory page of my father in familysearch.org.
All of the above is somehow related and connected but, I must wait for my return to Bountiful
in May of 2018. I would love to meet my
half-sister and apologize for the manner in which I treated her in 1953. This work also shows the power of the Holy
Ghost and the spirit of Elijah in bringing the gift of our Redeemer, baptism
for the remission of their sins, so that they may be released from that spirit
prison where no progress can be made.
(see my blog "" 8/7/2012)
(see my blog "" 8/7/2012)

1 comment:
I hope you will keep us updated when you return to Bountiful. I thought the story is very interesting and well written. I love you dad. This information would otherwise go unknown to me and my family about you. I always enjoy your testimony. Thank you.
Post a Comment