Sunday, February 10, 2008

A Visit to Gig Harbor, Washington

Phyllis Brooks when she graduated from highschool and to the right, her younger sister Vivian before her death on December 21, 2003.

I’ll see if I can express to you, the feelings in my heart after leaving my sister (Feb 9, 2008) that lies helpless in a nursing home in Gig Harbor. First of all, when we arrived (Kathleen, Blake and Anita and I), she was in bed in a darkened room. She was lying there with her eyes open, but seemingly asleep. I knelt down by her very low bed and spoke to her using her name and identifying my self as her big brother. After a few moments, she seemed to focus one eye upon me and a slight grin came upon her countenance. The more I spoke to her the more she seemed to respond and in her way she seemed to recognize me. I told her who the others were that was with me and she seemed likewise to respond to that. As she tried to communicate, she would breakout in an almost laughter as I agreed with what I thought she was trying to say. I tried to remind her of things in the past, I mentioned Steve Warner, and Loren, and others she might remember. I stroked her face and her hair to help her to relax and try not to be concerned as to who were present. She settled down and continued to try and communicate what was on her mind, which we cannot know. However, I got the distinct feeling that she felt that we had forgotten her and she wanted to have our prayers and even to be released from this condition where her spirit seems to be trapped within her mortal body and can’t seem to go back to the one who gave her life. I told myself, as I knelt there that I would not forget her and that I would pray to the God in Heaven that if was His will, she may return into His arms of redeeming love. I have always known her as a good woman and worthy mother and I love her very much. I am ashamed that I have not included her in our daily family and individual prayers. She is not dead, but I guess I have treated her in my actions as if she were dead. I’m sorry about that. How grateful I am for that visit to remind me of her and who she really is. We may all be afflicted at one time or another with bodily and mental afflictions which we must endure well and she has certainly done that. The time for our departure from this life is left up to Him, who is the giver of all life. We will leave it in his hands, but we should pray for her and have faith in our Redeemer, for he is our true and just God and knows us and our condition and he will be mindful of us in all our afflictions. Of this I so testify.

Phyllis Henderson was married to Kenneth Henderson on June 7, 1947. Ken lives in Hawaii and visits the mainland once or twice a year. They have three children, Caig and Brad and a daughter Jan Leland who lives in Lacy, Washington and takes care of her Mother in connection with the nursing home.
Phyllis Henderson lived in Mesa, Arizonia before moving to Gig Harbor to be near her daughter, Jan. This picture was taken before she was admitted to the nursing home and before her health took a swing for the worst.

RHB

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Shawn Brooks said...

Thank you for sharing your feelings with us. I do not remember Phyllis well; but was touched by your experience nonetheless.

with love
SDB

sourdoughman said...

Thanks, Shawn. By the way, are you signed in for the new familysearch? If you are, you can help in our temple and family history work.
RHB

Shauna said...

Dad - this was very touching. I haven't been able to see your blogs for some time but am catching up. I miss my aunt very much. Love, Shauna