Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Robert Armstrong, Father of James Potter Armstrong




Found At Last

In a recent blog, September 2007, I indicated that there may be a connection between the Robert Armstrong and his brother Alexander Armstrong (Upper Paxtang Township of Lancaster County) with the Armstrong clan that is part of our family where James Potter Armstrong (1802 – 1874) being the earliest progenitor that I was aware. I have been searching for over a decade for his parents expending significant resources and energy. However, the above Robert Armstrong mentioned above and in the previous Blog is not what this Blog is about. There may be a connection between the two Roberts, i.e. the one previosly mentioned and the one that I am writing about on this Blog, but it is of little concern for now.
I am overwhelmed with joy to announce that the parents of James Potter Armstrong have been found. All of the research that I have been doing over these past few years has not been in vain. (This photo is of James Potter Armstrong with is Wife, Catharine Taggart)
The father of James Potter Armstrong is Robert Armstrong from Ireland and his mother is Ann Potter. That may not be surprising to some, but the evidence seems to be convincing. The evidence found supports the answers to questions pondered over many years as to why James Potter Armstrong, who was born in Chester County, Pennsylvania went to Virginia where he married Mary Catharine Taggart and then traveled to eastern Ohio where he finally settled (see Blog 2006).
The gathering of the pieces to this ancestral puzzle is a true demonstration of how the spirit of Elijah and the Holy Ghost directs one as one earnestly seeks to identify ancestors. I will attempt to refer to only a few of the pieces that brought about the final conclusion and the end result. Of course, there is no end until we reach Adam, but as we are able to connect the various generations together the joy experienced is truly unspeakable. The previous Blogs and the unpublished research reports in my file tell the complete story, but here are a few of the details.
In a report that I wrote in January of 2001, one of the research findings was that a Robert Armstrong, aged between 70 and 80 years was living with a female person, aged between 20 and 30 years in Goshen Township during the census enumeration of 1840. Three other Armstrong families were living in close proximity to him, Joel, John and William at the same time. The William household had two families living together as evidenced by the ages of family members. The conclusion was drawn at that time, that Robert was living with a daughter and that James Potter Armstrong’s family was living with William and his family. Further, it was concluded that John and Joel were probably related to Robert and most likely he was their father. Ten years later, James Potter Armstrong and his family is enumerated for the first time in Goshen Township in 1850. At this time, Joel, John and James Potter Armstrong were all living in Goshen Township, but Robert and William were not to be found on any census records for that year nor for any subsequent censuses.
In a Blog dated July 2006, titled “Direction”, a book was mentioned and a page was quoted describing an Armstrong family that came from Ireland, settled in Pennsylvania for a time then moved and settled in eastern Ohio. That person was described as Robert Armstrong and gave the names of several of his descendants, one of which was Joel. This find produced a great deal of excitement and encouragement toward making a connection with James Potter Armstrong, my second great grandfather. Was James Potter Armstrong a brother to Joel Armstrong?
In a recent trip to the Family History Library in Salt lake City, March 26, 2007,research resulted in finding the Wills of Joel and John Armstrong. Heirs were mentioned with relationships all of which was very helpful. However, nothing could be found concerning a Robert Armstrong. In a subsequent visit to the Family History Library in September, 2007 in connection with attending sealing and wedding ceremonies of family members as noted in the most recent Blogs, The connection among all of the Armstrong’s that I have been studying was found. On this particular occasion, I had viewed several microfilms, for wills, land records, etc, but without finding anything significant. Finally, I decided to browse the book section on the third floor where county histories may be found and well as other books and documents pertaining to localities. A set of three volumes caught my eye, titled “History of Youngstown and The Mahoning Valley, Ohio”. I picked up volume three and turned to the biographical section and found Sylvester H. Armstrong. I had previously copied and read Sylvester’s biography in the book purchased mentioned in the Blog above and so I didn’t think much about it but decided to make a copy anyway. Since it was time to meet the others and go to lunch, I hurriedly made the copy and put it with my research papers on the first floor. On returning from lunch, I began to read closely what I had copied. To my great amazement and joy, Robert Armstrong’s family was described in detail including all of his children, their birth dates and when they died. Included in the children list was James Armstrong, born November 11, 1802. Here was what I had been working and praying to find for these past many years. The joy that filled my bosom was unspeakable
The reader will have to go to my PhpGedView to see the family groups as soon as I can put them al together.
RHB

No comments: