Monday, July 03, 2006

DIRECTION



Direction

Several years ago, as a gift to my children at a family reunion, I presented them with my personal history. One of the great realizations in writing this history was the fact that I was and we were as a family directed by the Holy Ghost throughout our lives. At moments of decision, I did not feel any direction, yet when I looked back at those decisions later I could see the hand of the Lord in every aspect of our lives.
This realization was forcefully brought to my attention again in a recent event that occurred with Anita and I. We had lunch in a little restaurant near Lake Oswego immediately across the street from a used bookstore. The lunch was delightful and at the conclusion of lunch, Anita made the comment and suggested that we go across the street and see what used books the store had to offer. She often visited this store when she was out away from home by herself, so she was well acquainted with it. I made my usual comment that it would be interesting, but we are supposed to be in the Family History Center at 1:00 so should we really take the time now, maybe later would be better ( It is husband trick to avoid shopping). I finally gave- in and so off we went across the street. The bathroom was the first stop for me while Anita began to browse. I finally came into the shop and as I began to browse for interesting books, my eye caught a locked book case standing near the check out desk. It was labeled: “Rare Books”. As I viewed the back spines of the books inside, one caught my attention, “The History of the Upper Ohio Valley” , Columbiana County, Volume II. I asked the store keeper, if I could have a close look at the book. After she opened the case, I observed the book to be in excellent condition. It was dated 1890 with a leather cover and gold edged pages. As I opened the cover, the price was noted as $75.00. My immediate reaction was: “well, that settles that, too expensive!” I continued to thumb through the book and noted that there were some biographical sketches of individuals that lived in the Goshen Township of what is now called Mahoning County. Umm! No, it is too expensive! I said to myself. The nagging continued in my mind and I called Anita over to show it to her. Her reaction was to go ahead and buy the book as it looked to her to be under priced. We love books as evidenced by our book case in the den at home where there is not room for any more books. Umm, “Go ahead you old tight wad and buy it, it looks like a good deal”. Anita had several other books she found that were out of print and so we bought them along with the rare Ohio book.
We arrived at the Family History Center on time and I took the Ohio book into the Center to show it off to the other staff who were there. They oohed and awed over it and said what a nice book. I scanned over the book again and after we finished our duty at the center we went home and I found a spot in the den book case to store it.
Over the past ten years, I have been trying to extend my Armstrong ancestors back another generation or two without success. I have found a great deal of evidence that many of the Armstrong’s noted in the vicinity of my research may be related but no positive connections could be made. In recent days, I have been reviewing the research I have conducted over these past years as I believed that some key information was hidden in this research data. On July the 2nd (Sunday), I was reading in the Gospel according to John and contemplated the first two miracles that the Savior preformed and the discussions he had with the Pharisees where they heard His words as he spoke to them symbolically, but they understood him not. I began to think about my linage and the gift of the Holy Ghost that I received when I was twelve years old. I knew that when individuals come into Christ’s church who are of the blood of Israel, that in general they do not experience a great manifestation of the spirit when they are baptized and receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. But, if they are true and faithful, the Holy Ghost is always there. My thoughts were carried to the research on the Armstrong’s and to the history I was reconstructing of my second great grandfather, James Potter Armstrong. In my previous scanning of the Ohio rare book, I had noticed some mention of Armstrong’s that lived in the same vicinity of James Potter Armstrong. I decided at this time that I should include this reference in the history I was writing, so I went to the book and reread this reference noted earlier. I began to see that this reference may indeed hold a key to extending my research back several generations. It was at that moment that I saw the hand of Elijah leading my wife to discover a reference of incomparable value at the bookstore I was so reluctant to go and to buy. Why is it we are, so often, lead by the spirit unknowingly and we go so reluctantly? I thanked Anita that morning for her influence and finding.

Here is the noted reference:
“Sylvestor Armstrong, a well known farmer of Goshen Township, was born in Columbiana county, now Mahoning county, Ohio, September 26, 1846, and is the son of Joel and Mary A.(Thompson) Armstrong, the father a native of Ohio, and the Mother of Pennsylvania. ……………….Mr. Armstrong’s paternal ancestors came originally from Ireland, in which country his grandfather Robert Armstrong, was born and raised. Robert Armstrong in company with three brothers and a sister came to America in the latter part of the last century and settled in Pennsylvania. He afterward moved to Mahoning county, Ohio settling in Goshen township, on the farm now owned by the subject of this sketch (Sylvester Armstrong) and Robert Lewis, the stone residence of the latter having been erected by Mr. Armstrong in the year 1826. One of the brothers of Robert Armstrong was impressed into the service of the crown and was never afterward heard from. James, another brother, settled in Virginia, and became a prominent planter. William located in Louisiana, and became a general in the war of 1812. A sister, Mary, married a Mr. Burnside, and was the mother of Gen. Ambrose E. Burnside, who served with distinction in the war, afterward became the governor of Rhode Island. Joel Armstrong, the father of Sylvster H., was a farmer by occupation and a well known citizen of this county. He was a prominent member of the Friends Church, and to him is due the credit of establishing one of the first Sunday-Schools in this part of the country, of which he was many years superintendent. He was born August, 1808, and died February, 1865. His wife was born in 1823, and departed this life May, 1880. These parents had eight children, six of whom are living at this time.” History of the Upper Ohio Valley, Vol II, Illustrated; Madison, Wis; Brant & Fuller, 1801 "
The above paragraph may prove to be the link needed to make a connection to my ancestor James Potter Armstrong.
RHB

No comments: