The hobby of genealogy occupies the spare time of countless numbers of persons who are seeking their roots, i.e., their ancestors. I understand why this is so as I read and study the Second Section of the Doctrine and Covenants, “Behold I will reveal to you the Priesthood by the hand of Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord, and he shall plant in the hearts of the children the promises made to the Fathers and the children shall turn their hearts to their Fathers, if it were not so the earth would be utterly wasted at His coming”. We know that Elijah has come and he has indeed planted in the hearts of the children the promises made to the Fathers. The Lord has not forgotten His promises made to the House of Israel, the descendants of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, and He did that by sending Elijah the prophet. He truly is planting in the hearts of the children the promise to Israel by Elijah. Many in the world do not understand why they have such a strong interest in their Fathers, but I do. Once Elijah has planted this thought in our hearts, the result is that we turn our hearts to our Fathers and we remember them. The best way to remember them is to find out who they were and receive unto ourselves the joy of our heritage. I suspect that if we could recall our preexistence, and knowing how many of our fathers would come forth onto this earth when there would be no Gospel because of the wickedness of men, we promised them, that when we came to earth when the Gospel is present, that we would remember them and the sacrifices that they made so we could have what we have today. But, many of us who have the most, are caught up in our worldly pursuits and we ignore what Elijah is trying to do. The consequence of planting in our hearts the promises made to our fathers is Genealogy.
I have gone to some effort and expense in making my genealogy available to my kindred, but I see that few have an interest. My PGV web site has been visited by few, but it is probably because few know about it. I plan to broadcast the news of this site to my kindred and invite them to it. Hopefully, it will spark an interest in their Fathers. RHB
1 comment:
Shauna: Thanks for your comments. It is my love and interest.
Post a Comment